Since 1975 the Museum has been extended on a number of occasions. In 1990, the Station Hall opened across Leeman Road in York’s former railway goods depot, nearly doubling the size of the museum in the process.
The former diesel depot adjacent to the Great Hall was added as a store and in 1999 this was rebuilt to become ‘The Works’, providing public access to the Museum’s collections stores and workshops and a viewing gallery overlooking York Station.
7 reasons to bring your Association event to the National Railway Museum
Located in York, the National Railway Museum offers a viewing gallery overlooking York Station.
- Main Plenary Room
The Duchess of Hamilton Suite is a multipurpose meeting room that can hold up to 120 delegates in theatre style of 80 delegates in workshop. This room can alternatively be split into the Duchess of Hamilton one, two and three. The Mallard Suite can hold up to 100 delegates in theatre style or 56 delegates in workshop with its own break out space for refreshments and lunch and its own welcome desk.
- Exhibition Areas
- Daytime – Duchess of Hamilton Suite: 139.04 m2
- Daytime – Mallard Suite: 125 m2
- Evening – Station Hall: site visit required
- Breakout/Seminar Spaces
- The Rocket Room can host up to 25 in theatre style, with its own break out space for refreshments and lunch that boasts a glorious view of the locomotives in great hall.
- The Evening Star Theatre a tiered theatre that can hold up to 78 delegates with its own break out space for refreshments and lunch that boasts a glorious view of the locomotives in great hall.
- Culinary Expertise by Levy Restaurants
Levy Restaurants UK are proud to offer an inspiring restaurant quality selection of seasonal starters, main courses and desserts that incorporate the best available regional ingredients throughout the year. We are dedicated in following an ethical policy of sustainability which embraces produce that is sourced locally from within the great County of Yorkshire. Our local suppliers are carefully selected and considered in our mission to provide truly appealing food and beverages.
- Added Value
Late licenses are available until 1:30am, and private museum tours are available. Contact the sales team for more information.
- Technical Expertise
Fully equipped with state of the art AV, ergonomic furniture and Wi-Fi throughout.
We don’t have any overnight accommodation on site, however; please find below a list of local hotels and contact details should you need them.
- Principle York – 4 Star – 0.2 miles from the National Railway Museum
www.theprincipalhotel.com/york / 01904 688 605
- Grand Hotel & Spa York – 5 Star – 0.3 miles from the National Railway Museum
http://www.thegrandyork.co.uk/ 01904 380038
- Park Inn York – 3 Star – 0.7 miles from the National Railway Museum
http://www.parkinn.co.uk/hotel-york/contact / 01904 459988
- Hotel Du Vin York – 4 Star – 0.7 miles from the National Railway Museum
https://www.hotelduvin.com/locations/york/?gclid=COX9n5bLu8MCFamWtAodCiIAiw / 01904 557350
- York Marriott – 4 Star – 1.6 miles from the National Railway Museum
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/qqyyk-york-marriott-hotel/ / 0870 400 7263
- The Grange Hotel – 4 Star – 1.2 miles from the National Railway Museum
http://www.grangehotel.co.uk/ / 01904 644744
The National Railway Museum is 32 miles from Leeds Bradford Airport.
If travelling to York rail station, please follow the signs inside the station which will lead you out of the back of the station and the Museum is on your left (Station Hall) or carry on along the road for the (car park entrance/conference centre).
***Please note: the code for the car park exit will be given to guests on the day of arrival***
We are able to offer free parking spaces to all guests. All guests can park in our Main Visitors Car Park opposite the Car Park Entrance on Leeman Road.
Delve into the city's vibrant café culture, take time out to enjoy some of the country's most talented street entertainers or simply watch the world go by while sipping a drink by the river.
Visitors to York can enjoy hundreds of attractions, museums, historic buildings, tours, shops, restaurants and bars within the compact walled city. You’re never far from an awe inspiring moment. Find and book York breaks, holidays and getaways from the excellent range of hotels, B&Bs and self-catering accommodation.