With your Carrot Seed pot from The Venues Collection (our residential venues), the below instructions will help your seeds to grow! We've even included some yummy recipes for when your harvest is ready!
How to grow your carrots:
What you will need:
- 1 x Packet of Carrot seeds
- 1 x Mini plant pot
- 1 x Cocopress peat-free soil tablet
- Sow: Late March to End of June
- Prepare an area of soil in a sunny position
- Sow seeds thinly in drills 1 to 1.5cm deep and 20cm between rows
- When seedlings are large enough to handle, thin the plants to 10cm apart
- Water regularly. Harvest: 12-16 weeks after sowing
Harissa Roasted Carrot Salad Recipe
- 250g Carrots
- 120g Baby Gem Lettuce
- 5g Coriander
- 1 Whole Lemon
- 120g Greek Yoghurt
- 20g Harissa Paste
- 30g Rapeseed Oil
- 60g Flaked Almonds
- 150g Diluted Vegetable Stock
- Top and tail carrots and cut into half and then diagonally into 1cm thick slices, if using Baby or Chantaney Carrots remove tops and cut down the middle into halves
- Mix vegetable stock with Harissa Paste and add to a roasting tray with the pre prepared carrots, roast at 180ᵒc for 20 minutes or until stock has reduced and carrots are roasted
- Roast the Almonds in a separate roasting tray at the same temperature as the Carrots until golden 6-8 minutes
- Prepare the dressing by adding zest and juice from the lemon and mixing with the Greek yoghurt and Rapeseed Oil
- Pick the Coriander leaves and reserve, finely chop the stalks and add into the step below.
- Once the Roasted Carrots have cooled add to the Baby gem leaves that have been separated and season with Salt and Pepper and half of the roasted Almonds and finely chopped Coriander Stalks
- Add the half of the yoghurt to the base of the serving bowl and place the Carrot and Baby Gem and Almond mix on top.
- Dress with Remaining Lemon Yoghurt, Roasted Almonds and Coriander and serve
Plant Forward Spiced Carrot & Lentil Soup
- 1 tbs Rapeseed oil
- 1 Chopped onion
- 3 Chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tbs Grated ginger
- 1 Long red chilli, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 tsp Mild curry powder
- 2 tbs Tomato paste
- 750g Chopped carrots
- 100g Dried red lentils, rinsed & drained
- 400g Can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 Litre Vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat
- Add onion, garlic, ginger and chilli. Cook whilst stirring for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add curry powder and tomato paste and cook for a further 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add carrots and lentils, stir, then add tomatoes, stock and 1 Litre of water.
- Increase heat to high and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 35-40 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Cool slightly, then blend using a stick blender until smooth. Stir in lemon juice, then serve.